Saturday, June 4, 2011

Tokashiki Island: Tropical Paradise

Today is my second day on Tokashiki Island, and so far I'm loving it. Unlike Naha, Tokashiki seems much more traditional, with far fewer English-speaking people. The total population is about 700 tops, the locals tell me. I get the feeling that this is where the Japanese that live in Okinawa go to get away from the foreigners. The locals here are really lovely people, and the views are amazing. I had an entire beach to myself for most of the day yesterday. Pictures below!

Today I will be taking a boat out to an uninhabited island not far off the coast of this island, and I'll be going scuba diving for the first time ever-- very excited! While I was eating dinner last night, my scuba instructor introduced himself to me. He then lead me over to the computer, where he used Google Translate to express the following: "Tomorrow I worry translation error. Breathe." That was more than a little disconcerting, but he also gave me a DVD about scuba to watch last night, so I think I'll be fine. Wish me luck!




2 comments:

  1. i think you're having too much fun for a grad student! seriously, it's nice to see you using life wisely by experiencing it all... but miss you too.

    ReplyDelete